Are You At Risk For This Common Travel Malady?

Disney World (Credit: Pixabay)

It’s been variously called Golfer’s Vasculitis, Disney Rash, Epcot Rash, Dollywood Rash, Hiker’s Rash and Exercise-Induced Vasculitis (EIV). Not only is there a paucity of research on the condition, there isn’t even universal agreement on its name. Years ago, medical researchers in Australia proposed sticking to one name, Golfer’s Vasculitis, to promote awareness, but that hasn’t quite stuck.

It affects travelers visiting Disney and other sprawling theme parks both in the U.S. and overseas. There have been anecdotal reports of cases among travelers who make pilgrimage walks, like the one along the Camino de Santiago.

Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route, Way of St James. Kilometer marker along the Camino frances pilgrimage route (The French Way, in Spain). (Photo by: Andia/UIG via Getty Images)

Are you planning a long hike this summer, perhaps at a national park? Headed for a golf vacation at a resort? Taking a bike trip? Planning a river or ocean cruise that entails a considerable amount of walking on shore excursions?

Any number of warm weather vacation activities may place you at risk for this disorder, one that’s common but not well understood. (an online health community that hosts discussions on various conditions) includes hundreds of questions and comments from people who have experienced this malady.

What is Golfer’s Vasculitis?

Like the Aussies, we’ll call it Golfer’s Vasculitis. This exercise-induced leg rash affects otherwise healthy people who have been walking in warm, humid climates.

“It’s a red-to-purplish rash that looks like blotches or tiny dots on both lower legs, mostly above the ankle or on top of one’s socks,” says Janet Prystowsky, M.D, a dermatologist in private practice in New York City. “It is frequently associated with travel because sightseeing can entail significant amounts of time walking and standing on your feet,” she adds.

Characteristic rash of Golfer's Vasculitis (Credit: